What is Rhodes Scholarship
Rhodes Scholarship is one of the prestigious and life-changing Scholarship for millions of youngsters which will be beneficial for them to join impeccable young minds globally who came to study at Oxford University.
Rhodes scholarship is a fully funded program that is established for international students who are focusing to commence their PG program at Oxford University. In this scholarship the tuition fee, health expenses, travel expenses (2 economy class tickets), and accommodation expenses to live in the UK were also included. The scholarship’s necessity was reviewed over the years, however in the early 21st century students from all over the countries were capable of the scholarship.
Rhodes Scholarship for the last few years is highly acknowledged as doctors, authors, politicians, academics, entrepreneurs, scientists, and Noble prize winners. Among them, many have achieved the position of state or heads of government, including Economist Montek Singh Ahluwalia, and President of the United States Bill Clinton.
Rhodes Scholarship India
Rhodes scholarship is named after and originated by Cecil John Rhodes in 1902. The scholarship is globally recognized and is one of the reputable scholarship programs worldwide. Rhodes scholarship was acknowledged in India in the year 1947, the era when India got Independent. During that time only two students qualified for the scholarship, moreover, on the 75th anniversary of the Rhodes scholarship in India, five students got selected. In 1947, only two Indian Scholar got selected. Thereafter, every year six scholars get selected from India and a total of 250 Indian Rhodes Scholars. Lovraj Kumar is popularly known as the first Indian to get
the title of Rhodes scholarship in 1947. He went to Magdalen College to study Chemistry and got retired in 1984 with the post of secretary of the Ministry of Steel.
Ritika Mukherji, Akumjung Pongen, Dr Varad Puntambkar, Dr Aishwarya Vedula, and Adrija Ghosh are the five Indians who got selected for the Rhodes Scholarship 2022. Now they will pursue their academic interests at Oxford University beginning this month. The five shortlisted students after clearing their two rounds of Preliminary interviews were then are interviewed to be able to achieve the admirable scholarship.
The first scholar who secured this Scholarship in the year 2022 is Akumjung Pongen. Adrija Ghose resides in Kolkata and pursued BA, LLB (Hons) from West Bengal National University. Her motive is to opt for a BCL degree from Oxford University and push up her career in strategic public interest litigation. Dr. Aishwarya Vedula, who comes from Hyderabad aims to pursue clinical and molecular neuroscience, with the motive to become a physician neuroscientist. Ritika Mukherji, the final year BSc (Hons) student at Miranda House decided to endure the neurobiology of sleep and wakefulness. Dr. Varad Puntambekar will be pursuing a master's at Oxford University.
Rhodes Scholarship is provided to the aspirants during the Oxford PG program
- The university offers 100 Rhodes Scholarships every year to students who are coming to study in the UK for the first time.
- The scholarship commences from June 1st, 2022 to August 2, 2022.
- The recipients were selected based on their personal statement, academic performance, and interview performance.
- It’s necessary that the scholarship application form has to be completed on the official site of Rhodes Trust.
scholarship Application Process
The students who want to opt Rhodes scholarship to study at Oxford University have to undergo the following application process:
- Candidates must have an account on the official site of Rhodes Trust.
- The candidates have to fill in all the necessary details like personal details and the required documents.
- Once the details get completed students have to submit them all.
- Lastly, the students were asked to submit the application package before the deadline.
Documents for scholarship
The documents that need to be submitted along with the application include:
- Updated resume
- Photograph in jpg format
- Letters of Recommendation
- Personal statement of 1000 words that states why the candidate deserves the scholarship
- Previous Organization academic transcripts
- Indian Passport
- IELTS or TOEFL score
To successfully get the benefit of the Rhodes scholarship applicants must meet the below eligibility requirements:
- Age: The required age group for the scholarship must be between 19-25 years.
- Academic Achievement: Must complete or will complete the UG degree with first class.
- Nationality: A citizen must be eligible for a Rhodes scholarship if he/she belongs to a country like India, Australia, Singapore, or Germany.
- Education: Candidates must have finished education in their home country at least for 4 years of the last 10 years.
The selection committee carefully inspects all the candidate’s applications and documents to find the best ones. The aspirants are selected based on the interview sessions that will be scheduled in two different parts:
The panel decided to go forward with the shortlisted students for two sessions that will be held on a single day in Delhi.
- Session 1: Preliminary Session
- Session 2: Personal Interview
Students must attend both sessions. Selected students will then go to the next Rhodes Scholarship selection process round.
The committee is responsible for the final selection process in which shortlisted students will be sent to social engagement and final interview.
The selected students will be informed through email. In addition, the possibility of a Rhodes Scholarship is only after successful admission to Oxford University.
The application process for the year 2022 is done. The application form for the year 2022-2023 is provided to the students from June 2022 on the official site of the Rhodes Scholarship. The monthly stipend is also provided to students. For 2022/2023, the stipend given to students is GBP 15, 900 per annum, which means GBP 1325 per month.
Rhodes scholarship is one of the outstanding opportunities for candidates to get admission to highly acknowledged universities that will benefit students to showcase their capabilities to the world. The best advantage students can get is the free admission application fee after selection at Oxford University.
How can we help you?
Contact us at the Consulting